Friday, June 1, 2012

ISSI and M&M's

The first year I attended Institute (it was just ISI back then) was in 1989.  I can remember so many things about that first Institute experience: all the kids running around from class to class, the energy and music everywhere, that one crazy cello teacher who was so much fun, and the blue Institute sweatshirt with heart-shaped notes my mom bought for me because it was so cold that week (Institute was in Logan that year and we had neglected to pack any warm clothes).

But the thing I remember the most about my first Institute is that every day for lunch, my mom would buy me a small box of plain M&M's.  I wouldn't eat them right away, but saved them for the afternoon, when we would go watch other classes.  As a beginner, my schedule wasn't all that full, so my mom and I were free to do as we wished in the afternoons.  To be honest, that extra time with my mom was my favorite part about the whole week.  And it's something I remember with fondness and gratitude every single time I enjoy a plain M&M.

There are so may wonderful reasons to attend Institute: the motivation it brings to students, the chance to learn new and exciting pieces for chamber groups and performance classes, the opportunity to work with amazing and inspiring teachers.  But for me that first year, the most wonderful thing about Institute was that time I had with my mom, and the way that experience bound us together with a closeness that was as sweet as the chocolate that melted in my mouth (not in my hand).

I look forward to sharing many memories and M&M's with my own daughters as we begin our own Institute attendance.

So, what are some of your favorite ISSI memories?

1 comment:

  1. Love this!

    My nearly 11 year old tells me every year that the time we spend together, just the two of us, is her favorite part of Institute. It's a sweet unexpected benefit.

    ReplyDelete